MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The filing deadline is near for candidates who want to run in recall elections against Gov. Scott Walker, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch and four Republican state senators.
The candidates have to submit nomination papers by Tuesday at 5 p.m. to the state Government Accountability Board in Madison.
If there are no challenges to the paperwork, the GAB will certify candidates on Friday after 5 p.m.
Democrats Tom Barrett and Kathleen Falk say they have the necessary 2,000 signatures to run against Walker. Democrats Doug La Follette and Kathleen Vinehout have also announced their intention to run.
A Democratic primary would be May 8, and the winner would face Walker on June 5.
The recalls were spurred by anger over Walker's efforts to strip most public employees of collective bargaining rights.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse