EAU CLAIRE, Wis. - Crews searching the Chippewa River in Eau Claire have been unable to find two men seen hanging on to a canoe in the water.
Authorities were called to the river at 1:40 p.m. Tuesday. An Eau Claire police spokesman says a kayaker saw two men in the river hanging on to a capsized silver canoe.
The two men are believed to be in their 20s. The kayaker tried unsuccessfully to throw a rope to the men.
The Leader-Telegram reports fire crews had boats in the water, searching for the canoeists.
A Mayo Two medical helicopter joined the search by air for about an hour.
Fire boats and crews were on the water for about five hours Tuesday but did not find the canoeists or the canoe.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial