LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A gas leak causes a scare near Valley View Mall Wednesday at about 8 a.m.
The La Crosse Fire Department says construction crews working on building the new Dick's Sporting Goods hit a gas line.
No injuries or illnesses were reported. Fire crews were concerned that the leak was happening right next to the Holiday Inn Express.
"Our main concern was making sure that the gas wasn't getting into the building. We were getting some readings on our meters, so we went room by room and went through the whole building and confirmed that it was safe for the occupants," said La Crosse Fire Division Chief Tom Wallerich.
Xcel Energy contained the leak within an hour and immediately started working on repairs.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team