LA CROSSE, WI - The grounds crew at Oak Grove Cemetery spent a day fixing about 60 monuments that were damaged last weekend.
La Crosse police believe the vandalism happened sometime during the late night hours of Saturday, August 10 or the morning hours of Sunday, August 11.
"It's a shame because a lot of families it's the last thing they have for the memorial to their family and when that's broken, it's really a slap in the face to the family," said Trish Grathen, executive Director of the Oak Grove Cemetery.
The cemetery has insurance, but it doesn't cover the monuments because they are personal property.
"The cemetery is not technically responsible for replacing any monuments," Grathen said. "However, as a goodwill gesture, we want the monuments back in place so we, of course, would add our own labor cost to put them back together."
Some of the headstones that were broken were older ones from families who likely aren't in the area anymore, Grathen said.
"Whoever is doing it, they have no regard for the passing of the family."
Police say they do not having any suspects and are looking for information. You can contact La Crosse police at (608) 789-7200, Crimestoppers at (608) 784-TIPS, text a tip to "LAXTIPS" or on the web at lacrossecrimestoppers.com.21504192
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering