LA CROSSE, Wis. - Prime property along the highway connecting La Crosse and La Crescent could soon be out of the county's hands.
An offer has been made for the Park Plaza property on Barron Island.
The county has owned the property since 2001 after the owners of the then-Yacht Club Resorts couldn't pay the more than one million dollars in back- taxes due on the property.
Since then, the county has spent $700,000 to clean up the area. That's money officials expect to get back from the sale and the TIF district the city set up on the property.19016040
More importantly, the County Administrator wants to see the entrance to our community improved. "We're optimistic that we're going to be able to come to an agreement soon and be able to bring that back to the public and make a change in what's now a vacant lot," said Administrator Steve O'Malley.
Details about the buyer are not available since they are still in negotiations. Before a sale is final, it has to go through a full county board vote.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US