LA CROSSE, Wis. - A major construction project will close part of highway 16 in front of the mall starting next week.
The stretch between Highway 157 and South Kinney Coulee Road will be closed from late Sunday night through Friday afternoon for the next two weeks. Traffic will be detoured to Highway 157 and Interstate 90.
Access to the mall will remain open and the road will be open on weekends.
Crews will work 24 hours a day to replace the road which sees about 30,000 cars a day. "The concrete out there is 30 years old, the joints between the concrete slabs have deteriorated so they're about a foot wide," said project manager Reiny Yahnke.
When the road is not completely closed, there will be single lane closures.
The entire project will take three and a half weeks.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.