LA CROSSE, Wis. - A major construction project will close part of highway 16 in front of the mall starting next week.
The stretch between Highway 157 and South Kinney Coulee Road will be closed from late Sunday night through Friday afternoon for the next two weeks. Traffic will be detoured to Highway 157 and Interstate 90.
Access to the mall will remain open and the road will be open on weekends.
Crews will work 24 hours a day to replace the road which sees about 30,000 cars a day. "The concrete out there is 30 years old, the joints between the concrete slabs have deteriorated so they're about a foot wide," said project manager Reiny Yahnke.
When the road is not completely closed, there will be single lane closures.
The entire project will take three and a half weeks.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists