MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Fort Atkinson photographer Lori Compas has defeated fake Democrat Gary Ellerman in a recall primary to earn a chance to face Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald next month.
Preliminary results from Tuesday's election show Compas with 71 percent of the vote and Ellerman, of Lake Mills, with 29 percent.
Democrats want to oust Fitzgerald and two other incumbent Republican senators in a June 5 general recall election as payback for passing GOP Gov. Scott Walker's contentious law stripping public workers of their union rights. The Democrats also are trying to capture an open seat in that same election.
All four Democratic candidates faced a primary challenge Tuesday from a Republican running as a Democrat. The GOP recruited the fake candidates to force the real Democrats into primary races.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building