MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Fort Atkinson photographer Lori Compas has defeated fake Democrat Gary Ellerman in a recall primary to earn a chance to face Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald next month.
Preliminary results from Tuesday's election show Compas with 71 percent of the vote and Ellerman, of Lake Mills, with 29 percent.
Democrats want to oust Fitzgerald and two other incumbent Republican senators in a June 5 general recall election as payback for passing GOP Gov. Scott Walker's contentious law stripping public workers of their union rights. The Democrats also are trying to capture an open seat in that same election.
All four Democratic candidates faced a primary challenge Tuesday from a Republican running as a Democrat. The GOP recruited the fake candidates to force the real Democrats into primary races.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families