LA CROSSE, WI - Thousands of runners laced up their shoes and took part in the Glow in the Deke 5K run at Veteran's Memorial Stadium at UW-La Crosse Saturday night.
It's a fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Club of Greater La Crosse and honors Dereck Kroll who lost his battle with cancer in 2009.
The money goes specifically to kids at the club who are fighting cancer. This is the second year for the Glow in the Deke run. Organizers say they're excited to see it grow in popularity.
"We have over 2,000 people that came out tonight. Sounds like they are here to have a great time and raise money for a worthy cause raising money for the six area Boys and Girls Clubs kids with cancer that are beating it," said event organizer Garrett Jerue.
Organizers hope to raise about $50,000 from the run.22429712
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests