SHEBOYGAN, WI (AP) - The civil case for one of the state's most notorious homicides is moving forward.
The family of Teresa Halbach filed a wrongful death lawsuit in 2006 against Steven Avery, and his nephew, Brendan Dassey, seeking unspecified monetary damages.
They were convicted of killing the 25-year-old photographer on the family property near Mishicot on Oct. 31, 2005.
Sheboygan Press Media reports Sheboygan County Circuit Court Judge Angela Sutkiewicz has been assigned to the case.
The civil case had been on hold because it overlapped the criminal case and unsuccessful appeals by both men, though it now appears to be moving forward.
The killing drew extraordinary attention because Avery had spent 18 years in prison for rape before DNA samples proved another man committed that crime.
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case