SHEBOYGAN, WI (AP) - The civil case for one of the state's most notorious homicides is moving forward.
The family of Teresa Halbach filed a wrongful death lawsuit in 2006 against Steven Avery, and his nephew, Brendan Dassey, seeking unspecified monetary damages.
They were convicted of killing the 25-year-old photographer on the family property near Mishicot on Oct. 31, 2005.
Sheboygan Press Media reports Sheboygan County Circuit Court Judge Angela Sutkiewicz has been assigned to the case.
The civil case had been on hold because it overlapped the criminal case and unsuccessful appeals by both men, though it now appears to be moving forward.
The killing drew extraordinary attention because Avery had spent 18 years in prison for rape before DNA samples proved another man committed that crime.
- The Latest: Walker proposes new welfare work requirements
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser
- Parents accused of starving teen daughter plead not guilty
- State agency highlights climate change, 2 others ignore