LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A natural gas leak scare in La Crosse Friday turned out to be a harmless gas.
A contractor working with Xcel Energy to clean up contaminated soil at the Oktoberfest Grounds hit an old Mercaptan Tank at about 10 a.m.
Mercapatan is a harmless gas that smells like sulfur or rotten eggs and is usually is added to odorless natural gas so people can smell it.
Reports of the odor went as far north as Menard's in La Crosse.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership