LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A natural gas leak scare in La Crosse Friday turned out to be a harmless gas.
A contractor working with Xcel Energy to clean up contaminated soil at the Oktoberfest Grounds hit an old Mercaptan Tank at about 10 a.m.
Mercapatan is a harmless gas that smells like sulfur or rotten eggs and is usually is added to odorless natural gas so people can smell it.
Reports of the odor went as far north as Menard's in La Crosse.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted