LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - It wouldn't be Oktoberfest weekend without a few brats.
One of the new events for this year's fest was the "Okto-brat-fest" contest.
Seven chefs from across the area competed to see who could come up with the best culinary creation using brats.
For 10 dollars, Festgoers could taste-test each of the entries which featured some creative ways to cook a classic.
"They are not your normal brat and kraut," said Oktoberfest board member Jerry Bauer. "We have a mango habanero brat, we have a Bloody Mary brat, we have some really, really, really delicious brats to sample."
The winner of the contest was Chef Tim McCarty of Rochester.
As his prize, he gets a "golden ticket" to compete the World Food Championships in Alabama in November.
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest