LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - It wouldn't be Oktoberfest weekend without a few brats.
One of the new events for this year's fest was the "Okto-brat-fest" contest.
Seven chefs from across the area competed to see who could come up with the best culinary creation using brats.
For 10 dollars, Festgoers could taste-test each of the entries which featured some creative ways to cook a classic.
"They are not your normal brat and kraut," said Oktoberfest board member Jerry Bauer. "We have a mango habanero brat, we have a Bloody Mary brat, we have some really, really, really delicious brats to sample."
The winner of the contest was Chef Tim McCarty of Rochester.
As his prize, he gets a "golden ticket" to compete the World Food Championships in Alabama in November.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 25, 2017