LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - It wouldn't be Oktoberfest weekend without a few brats.
One of the new events for this year's fest was the "Okto-brat-fest" contest.
Seven chefs from across the area competed to see who could come up with the best culinary creation using brats.
For 10 dollars, Festgoers could taste-test each of the entries which featured some creative ways to cook a classic.
"They are not your normal brat and kraut," said Oktoberfest board member Jerry Bauer. "We have a mango habanero brat, we have a Bloody Mary brat, we have some really, really, really delicious brats to sample."
The winner of the contest was Chef Tim McCarty of Rochester.
As his prize, he gets a "golden ticket" to compete the World Food Championships in Alabama in November.
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp
- La Crosse Central holds 95th Memorial Day ceremony