ALMA CENTER, Wis. - A large Wisconsin dairy cooperative plans to close a cheese plant, idle another plant indefinitely and lay off more than 100 employees.
Baraboo-based Foremost Farms is closing an Alma Center plant that makes mozzarella cheese for foodservice markets. The co-op is idling a cheddar cheese plant in Waumandee.
The Journal Sentinel reports 52 jobs will be lost when the Alma Center plant closes June 30. About 50 employees will be indefinitely laid off when the Waumandee plant is idled June 30.
Foremost says it's consolidating production from the two plants at its other plants in Appleton, Richland Center, Milan and Marshfield.
Foremost President Dave Fuhrmann says even though the co-op is reducing its plant and employee numbers, it is not downsizing the volume of cheese produced by the co-op.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.