LA CROSSE, Wis. - The La Crosse Police Department said a string of armed home robberies this summer is a case of criminals targeting other criminals.
Several of the victims in the downtown La Crosse area are involved in the drug trade or had illegal drugs in their homes.
Two alleged members of the "Get Money Boys" gang were charged in court Tuesday with being party to the crime of armed robbery with the threat of force. Those two men are 17-year-old DeAaron Appleton and 19-year-old Juan Winslow.
The criminal complaint said they were part of a group of five young men who targeted homes in the downtown area and robbed them, wearing ski masks and carrying handguns.16922134
They stole cash, electronics and drug paraphernalia. They also injured some of the residents in those homes.
But a preliminary hearing for the two has been moved to next week, because the La Crosse County district attorney's office said the case is expanding.
"We received five additional incident reports today and we are expecting to add charges as well as potentially add defendants," said Brittney Cornillaud, a public service special prosecutor in the DA's office.
A minor, who also claims to be a member of the same gang, has also been arrested in connection to the crimes.
Winslow and Appleton are scheduled to appear in court again next Friday for their preliminary hearing.
Police have refused to do any interviews with News 8 on the scope of the "Get Money Boys" gang issue in La Crosse.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance