CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (AP) - Weekend snowmobile races on Lake Wissota in Chippewa County were canceled after a bulldozer went through the ice.
Sheriff's officials say Kirk Brown of Brown Excavation was using the bulldozer to get a race track ready for Saturday's Pro Vintage race when the 10-ton bulldozer broke through the ice in 40 feet of water several hundred yards from shore.
WQOW-TV says Brown jumped to safety just before the bulldozer sunk. The DNR says it will work with Brown to recover the bulldozer.
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Dayton names new Minnesota State Lottery director
- Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention
- Walker: Not my job to remove Sheriff Clarke after jail death
- Minnesota woman gets probation for supporting al-Shabab