CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (AP) - Weekend snowmobile races on Lake Wissota in Chippewa County were canceled after a bulldozer went through the ice.
Sheriff's officials say Kirk Brown of Brown Excavation was using the bulldozer to get a race track ready for Saturday's Pro Vintage race when the 10-ton bulldozer broke through the ice in 40 feet of water several hundred yards from shore.
WQOW-TV says Brown jumped to safety just before the bulldozer sunk. The DNR says it will work with Brown to recover the bulldozer.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners