LA CROSSE, Wis. - A bug on an application used on just about every computer could leave users vulnerable to hackers.
Java is a program that allows programs to be used across a range of operating systems and is found on PC's, Macs, and smart phones.
This weekend, a bug was discovered that could allow hackers to get access to a person's system. That would include access to any personal information on a computer, and websites a person visits.
But the only way hackers can get access is if a person essentially allows it. "This isn't something where someone from the outside can just attack their system and get in, this takes user intervention, so I'd like to stress specifically that users monitor their browsing habits, they monitor what they click on and where they go," said UW-La Crosse's Information Security Officer Jim Treu.18152516
Homeland Security suggests people turn off Java until the bug is completely fixed. But for places like UW-La Crosse, that's not a possibility.
Instead they are constantly educating the thousands of users and checking their own system. "Once a month, we have what we call a maintanence window, that's when we sweep our system, we make sure we have the latest updates and upgrades and we do our security settings, or penetration test as we call it," said UW-L's Chief Information Officer Dr. Mohamed Elhindi.
Security experts say beyond safe browsing habits, it's important to make sure your system and security features are always up to date.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse