LA CROSSE, Wis. - The Boys and Girls Club of Greater La Crosse celebrated turkey day a few days early. Their annual Thanksgiving feast was held in La Crosse Tuesday night.17513034
They cooked up 24 turkeys to feed the expected 500 kids and families. All of the food was donated from the Waterfront, Reinhart Foods, and Festival Foods.
The ongoing tradition is a way for the club to give back to the community and support those in need. "Some family's won't have a big Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, so we hope this could be their Thanksgiving, and of course, we want them to realize all that they have to be thankful for," said Boys and Girls Club Executive Director Mike Desmond.
Also at the feast, a check was presented from the Glow in the Deke fundraiser last month. $14,000 will go to support the club's day to day activities and create a scholarship for a UW-La Crosse student who is battling cancer.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather