MCFARLAND, Wis. - The two bodies discovered in a burning car in McFarland on Tuesday belong to an engaged couple, according to a person close to the victim's families.
Firefighters found the bodies of Brandon Slattery and Amy Damon after extinguishing a burning car Tuesday.
McFarland police and firefighters responded at about 6 a.m. to a report of a vehicle on fire near the intersection of Holscher Road and Prairie Wood Drive in the village of McFarland.
As officers arrived at the scene, they saw a car fully engulfed in flames.
Police Lt. Brian Redman said it wasn't until after firefighters got the fire out that they discovered the bodies.
Police Chief Craig Shervan said there is no reason to suspect foul play at this time, but that could change as the investigation continues.
Neighbor Tom Dunn woke up to the bright police lights and spotted the smoldering car.
"It's very shocking anywhere, shocking here," Dunn said. "It's a terrible way to start the New Year."
Dunn said he would never expect anything like this to happen so close to where he lives. He was also surprised that it would happen on such a busy street and not somewhere more private.
"There's never really the police around here or anything like that. It's just very quiet. For whatever went on, it's just very unusual," Dunn said.
Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather