MCFARLAND, Wis. - The two bodies discovered in a burning car in McFarland on Tuesday belong to an engaged couple, according to a person close to the victim's families.
Firefighters found the bodies of Brandon Slattery and Amy Damon after extinguishing a burning car Tuesday.
McFarland police and firefighters responded at about 6 a.m. to a report of a vehicle on fire near the intersection of Holscher Road and Prairie Wood Drive in the village of McFarland.
As officers arrived at the scene, they saw a car fully engulfed in flames.
Police Lt. Brian Redman said it wasn't until after firefighters got the fire out that they discovered the bodies.
Police Chief Craig Shervan said there is no reason to suspect foul play at this time, but that could change as the investigation continues.
Neighbor Tom Dunn woke up to the bright police lights and spotted the smoldering car.
"It's very shocking anywhere, shocking here," Dunn said. "It's a terrible way to start the New Year."
Dunn said he would never expect anything like this to happen so close to where he lives. He was also surprised that it would happen on such a busy street and not somewhere more private.
"There's never really the police around here or anything like that. It's just very quiet. For whatever went on, it's just very unusual," Dunn said.
Police are continuing to investigate the incident.
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local bar burglarized
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser
- Annual bridal expo prepares for wedding season
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area billion dollar company plans for joint venture