MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett wants Republican Gov. Scott Walker to explain why he was allowed to create a defense fund in connection with a secret probe into his associates.
Barrett, a Democrat, is challenging Walker in a June 5 recall election. He sent the governor a letter Tuesday demanding Walker explain what's going on.
The investigation has centered on people who worked for Walker during his stint as Milwaukee County executive. Five people have been charged; allegations range from campaigning on county time to embezzlement.
The governor hasn't been charged and has said he isn't the focus of the probe. However, he has set up a legal defense fund -- a move allowed only for officeholders who have been charged or are under investigation for election or campaign violations.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game