LA CROSSE, Wis. -- More than 600 area kids are sliding into safety.
Third graders from 11 different schools spent time at Copeland Park Wednesday learning about summer safety as nearly half of all traumatic injuries to our youth happen in the summertime.13434536
A number of health and wellness organizations put on the event.
The kids are learning lessons like fire safety, the importance of life jackets and swim safety. "There's definitely a lot of topics, and all these topics have to do with keeping kids safe in the summertime and they're all based around the high risk topics," says Safe Kids Coalition Coordinator Kim Lombard.
The event coordinator says the biggest three lessons of the day focused on ATV safety, the need for helmets, and playground safety.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser