LA CROSSE CO., WI - Homeowners in the La Crosse area are being warned of a possible scam.
A homeowner in the Town of Farmington in northern La Crosse County says two men posing as surveyors asked to gain access to her property.
Once on the land, they started acting suspicious. While one of the suspects convinced the homeowner to show him the lot lines, another entered the home and went through drawers. They left without taking anything, but the homeowner called police.
Authorities wanted to get the word out and remind people that scam artists will try anything to make a buck.
"There is a lot of creativity in the criminal mindset and people come up with different schemes all the time and people need to be aware of different things that could come up and if it seems suspicious, there's a good chance it is, contact law enforcement," said La Crosse Conuty Deputy Marte Peterson.
Both men were white males in their mid 20's. They were driving a large SUV. If you come in contact with these men or any suspicious behavior, you can contact the La Crosse Co. Sheriff's Department at 608-785-9629.21266414
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse