LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Viterbo University recognized a group of high school students Monday night for bettering their communities.
47 students from the surrounding area were selected for 18th annual Volunteer Recognition award.
They were honored at Viterbo's Fine Arts Center for volunteering countless hours to help their schools, the community, and especially those in need.
Organizers say the night is a way to acknowledge the students for going above and beyond their daily duties. "We hope that they will realize that people do watch what they do and are thankful and grateful for what they've done. And we hope by honoring them from the university that we will encourage them to continue their service when they go onto whatever college or university they go to," said Viterbo President Rick Artman.
There were eight different schools that were represented at Monday's ceremony.
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation
- Democrats announce new gun safety coalition
- Bill would eliminate last of Wisconsin's prevailing wage
- First Battalion aviation unit deploys to Middle East
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance