LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Viterbo University recognized a group of high school students Monday night for bettering their communities.
47 students from the surrounding area were selected for 18th annual Volunteer Recognition award.
They were honored at Viterbo's Fine Arts Center for volunteering countless hours to help their schools, the community, and especially those in need.
Organizers say the night is a way to acknowledge the students for going above and beyond their daily duties. "We hope that they will realize that people do watch what they do and are thankful and grateful for what they've done. And we hope by honoring them from the university that we will encourage them to continue their service when they go onto whatever college or university they go to," said Viterbo President Rick Artman.
There were eight different schools that were represented at Monday's ceremony.
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Court upholds order for fingerprint to unlock cellphone