LA CROSSE, Wis. - Area cancer survivors were honored Tuesday night at the annual Celebrate Life picnic.
Cancer survivors, as well as their families, took part in the community-wide picnic at the La Crosse Center as part of National Cancer Survivorship Day.
More than 1,800 people were expected to attend the picnic dinner, as well as doctors and nurses from Mayo Clinic and Gundersen Health Systems.20534050
"Patients who are diagnosed with cancer and their families tend to have to focus on the clinic appointments, the treatments, and everything else and they never get a chance to just be themselves, mingle with others and have the chance to talk with people who have been in the same situation," said picnic volunteer Sarah Archer.
It's the 22nd year for the picnic.
- UPDATE: Two additional suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Monday closings due to weather
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser