LA CROSSE, Wis. - Area cancer survivors were honored Tuesday night at the annual Celebrate Life picnic.
Cancer survivors, as well as their families, took part in the community-wide picnic at the La Crosse Center as part of National Cancer Survivorship Day.
More than 1,800 people were expected to attend the picnic dinner, as well as doctors and nurses from Mayo Clinic and Gundersen Health Systems.20534050
"Patients who are diagnosed with cancer and their families tend to have to focus on the clinic appointments, the treatments, and everything else and they never get a chance to just be themselves, mingle with others and have the chance to talk with people who have been in the same situation," said picnic volunteer Sarah Archer.
It's the 22nd year for the picnic.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather