MADISON, Wis. - Aquinas (23-4) is moving on to the finals of the WIAA Boys State Basketball Championships with a win over Little Chute (25-2) on Friday morning.
The Blugolds beat the Mustangs 61-51 during the first of two Division 3 semifinals.
Aquinas' Bronson Koenig, trying to reach the title game on what will be his home court next season, hit the first three points of the game.
Later in the first, UW-Green Bay recruit Kenneth Lowe scores the first ten points for Little Chute. The Mustangs keeps it close in the second and with 1:50 left, a Turner Botz jumper makes it a one point game, 20-19 Aquinas.
In the final seconds of the half, Aquinas inbounding, Nolan Ritter puts up a three. It doesn't go in. Parker Weber scrambles for the ball and lays it in as the horn goes off. Close, but the points counted. Blugolds up 24-21 at the break.
Then Aquinas goes on a tear in the 3rd. Koenig, with a no-look pass to Weber. It's a 7-0 run to start the 3rd. Then Koenig with a pull-up jumper that makes it 35-23 Aquinas with four minutes left in the 3rd.19246378
Turner Botz scores nine straight for the Mustangs to make it an 8 point game.
But Aquinas hangs on to its lead in the 4th. With six minutes left, Koenig inbounds to Michael Conway and he makes it, 48-35.
Blugolds work hard to take time off the clock. With 1:30 left, Koenig makes it 56-49. Aquinas wins 61-51.
Aquinas will play on Saturday against Lodi on Saturday.
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building