LA CROSSE, WI - Our community gets the chance to learn how to properly retire an American flag.
American Legion Post 52 in La Crosse put on a demonstration Thursday.
Veterans inspect the flags to make sure that they are no longer serviceable. From there, they retire Old Glory in the honorable way by burning it. "The flags are a symbol of our country and it's a symbol for all the people who have fought and died for this country, so we want to make sure that they get a proper disposal," said the Commander of American Legion Post 52 David Johnson.
Post 52 puts on the demonstration once a year.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.