LA CROSSE, WI - Our community gets the chance to learn how to properly retire an American flag.
American Legion Post 52 in La Crosse put on a demonstration Thursday.
Veterans inspect the flags to make sure that they are no longer serviceable. From there, they retire Old Glory in the honorable way by burning it. "The flags are a symbol of our country and it's a symbol for all the people who have fought and died for this country, so we want to make sure that they get a proper disposal," said the Commander of American Legion Post 52 David Johnson.
Post 52 puts on the demonstration once a year.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline
- Fatal shooting investigated in Bloomington