LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The 23-year-old La Crosse man found in the Black River on Friday died from accidental drowning, according to preliminary autopsy results from the La Crosse County Medical Examiner's Office.
The body of Shalim Augustine was pulled from the Black River Friday night in an area north of where he was last seen with friends three-days earlier.
There were no signs of injuries or trauma and no evidence of foul play, according to La Crosse County Medical Examiner Tim Candahl and La Crosse police. Toxicology results will not be available for several weeks.
"The investigation into Shalim Augustine's death continues, as we are trying to piece together the activities of the day, night and early morning hours, and look at phone records and video cameras in the area," La Crosse police said in a statement.
If you have any information that would help police in this investigation, contact the La Crosse Police Department at (608) 785-5962.
Friends and family are mourning Augustine and are also thanking everyone who joined in the search for him.
"You are our brothers and sisters and you've shown us in time of tragedy and grieving your concern and you've reached out and touched our lives and we are blessed," said Rev. Patrick Augustine, Salim's uncle.
There will be a Celebration of Shalim's life at the Christ Episcopal Church, 11 9th Street North in La Crosse at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 19. The public is welcome to attend.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team