LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The Salvation Army is working to send local kids back to school in style but they need help from the community.
Their annual drive gives kids from low income families a new outfit for the first day of school.
This year they're helping 450 students. Right now 300 of those have been taken care of but the Salvation Army is getting nervous about finding the new clothes for the other 150 in the next two weeks. They're hoping our community will once again step up.
"I think it can help them fit in at school right away a little easier. They're not as self conscious, they've got a little bit more confidence, and it means a lot," said Program Coordinator Vicky Caya.
If you'd like to help you can call the La Crosse Salvation Army at (608)782-6126 or stop by their building at 223 North 8th Street in La Crosse.
The Salvation Army is also working with Catholic Charities again. They provide a new backpack and school supplies to families in need.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Wisconsin's youth prison hit with another lawsuit
- The Latest: Lawmakers work through the night on state budget
- Man pleads not guilty in deadly Iowa jail escape
- Man accused of killing parents, sister, pleads not guilty
- Senators want hearing aids available over the counter
- Iowa man found mentally fit to stand trial in double murder
- Iowa court offices to be closed Friday due to budget cuts
- "Share the Love" donation to Family & Children's Center
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers