BURLINGTON, Wis. (AP) - A fire at a food processing plant in southeastern Wisconsin has been contained. And, local residents who'd been evacuated have been allowed to return home.
The fire broke out Wednesday evening at the Echo Lake Foods plant in Burlington. Police evacuated about 50 people who live near the plant, and they were allowed to return home Thursday morning.
No injuries have been reported.
Burlington Mayor Bob Miller says hazardous-materials handlers have secured the area where chemical tanks are stored. State emergency officials say there was a "minor release" of ammonia residue from pipes, and they're monitoring air quality.
Firefighters from more than 80 fire departments from southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois took turns fighting the raging blaze. Fire officials say the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse