BURLINGTON, Wis. (AP) - A fire at a food processing plant in southeastern Wisconsin has been contained. And, local residents who'd been evacuated have been allowed to return home.
The fire broke out Wednesday evening at the Echo Lake Foods plant in Burlington. Police evacuated about 50 people who live near the plant, and they were allowed to return home Thursday morning.
No injuries have been reported.
Burlington Mayor Bob Miller says hazardous-materials handlers have secured the area where chemical tanks are stored. State emergency officials say there was a "minor release" of ammonia residue from pipes, and they're monitoring air quality.
Firefighters from more than 80 fire departments from southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois took turns fighting the raging blaze. Fire officials say the cause of the fire is under investigation.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death