OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says a total of 567 sturgeon were harvested during the 2013 spear season -- and 39 of them weighed over 100 pounds.
The sturgeon season ended Sunday.
WLUK-TV reports that this year's total is just one more fish than harvested in 2012, when 566 sturgeon were registered.
A total of 306 sturgeon were taken on Lake Winnebago, and 9.5 percent of those speared on Winnebago weighed more than 100 pounds. The DNR says that's a record.
Final totals on Lake Winnebago for the 2013 season were: 30 juvenile females, 131 adult females, and 145 males. The numbers speared were well below the cap.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race