OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) - The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says a total of 567 sturgeon were harvested during the 2013 spear season -- and 39 of them weighed over 100 pounds.
The sturgeon season ended Sunday.
WLUK-TV reports that this year's total is just one more fish than harvested in 2012, when 566 sturgeon were registered.
A total of 306 sturgeon were taken on Lake Winnebago, and 9.5 percent of those speared on Winnebago weighed more than 100 pounds. The DNR says that's a record.
Final totals on Lake Winnebago for the 2013 season were: 30 juvenile females, 131 adult females, and 145 males. The numbers speared were well below the cap.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure