LA CROSSE, WI - The American Legion Post 52 in La Crosse celebrated the beginning of Oktoberfest with its third annual Slicing of the Golden Brat.
The brat is more than 6 feet long and 8 inches around in a giant bun and topped with kraut. The brat weighs 60lbs. Add the bun and sauerkraut and it's 85lbs.
"We just wanted to do something that was different," said David Johnson, commander of American Legion Post 52. "Something that wasn't centered around beer or alcohol, to do something that the whole family could come to and enjoy."
The American Legion hosted a breakfast Friday morning with traditional food, like eggs and bacon. Money from the breakfast and t-shirt sales help the Legion support its various programs, like youth scholarships and the Veterans Rehabilitation Program.
People who came to the breakfast got an opportunity to eat some of the brat for free. The brat was custom-made by Bakalars and the giant bun was made by Festival Foods.22163266
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing