LA CROSSE, WI - The American Legion Post 52 in La Crosse celebrated the beginning of Oktoberfest with its third annual Slicing of the Golden Brat.
The brat is more than 6 feet long and 8 inches around in a giant bun and topped with kraut. The brat weighs 60lbs. Add the bun and sauerkraut and it's 85lbs.
"We just wanted to do something that was different," said David Johnson, commander of American Legion Post 52. "Something that wasn't centered around beer or alcohol, to do something that the whole family could come to and enjoy."
The American Legion hosted a breakfast Friday morning with traditional food, like eggs and bacon. Money from the breakfast and t-shirt sales help the Legion support its various programs, like youth scholarships and the Veterans Rehabilitation Program.
People who came to the breakfast got an opportunity to eat some of the brat for free. The brat was custom-made by Bakalars and the giant bun was made by Festival Foods.22163266
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017