WHITEWATER, Wis. - About 250 animals were killed in a fire west of Whitewater early Thursday morning, according to the homeowner.
The owner of the barn told News 3 he went to work at 4 a.m. and got a phone call at 6:30 a.m. telling him that his barn in the W5800 block of Tri County Line Road was on fire.
The owner said the barn contained mostly goats and sheep, but there were also chickens, ducks and peacocks in the barn.
The building was a total loss. The cause of the fire has not been determined but it's not suspicious.
The Whitewater Fire Department said the building was fully involved and on the ground when they arrived.
Fort Atkinson firefighters assisted at the scene.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river