BAYFIELD, Wis. (AP) - Crews have recovered the bodies of two men who died after their snowmobile went into Lake Superior near Madeline Island.
The two men were last seen leaving Bayfield heading to Madeline Island on Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. A caller to 911 reported them missing 12 hours later.
Searchers found the body of one man next to a partially submerged snowmobile in the water near the South Channel shortly after the 911 call was received. The second man's body was found about three hours later.
Ashland County Sheriff Mick Brennan says the victims were both in their 30s and lived on Madeline Island.
Brennan says the men had been on the same snowmobile. WDIO-TV reports their names are not being released because family members are still being notified.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners