LA CROSSE, Wis. - Two men from the Madison area were charged in La Crosse County court in connection to a recent drug bust on the city's north side.
La Crosse police arrested Julian Thomas, 36, of Madison, and Demetris Ross, 31, of Sun Prairie, on March 13 after officers found heroin, marijuana and cash in their car.
According to the criminal complaint, a La Crosse police officer approached a vehicle with Florida license plates parked in the north parking lot of the Howard Johnson hotel, 2150 Rose Street, La Crosse. The officer was checking for suspicious activity in several north side hotels in the city.
Police say when they approached the vehicle, Ross, who was in the passenger seat, dropped something between the seat and the door while he was moving his hands around. The officer pulled his gun out and told both men to put their hands in the air and then removed them from the vehicle, the complaint states.19340212
Police found heroin in Thomas' front coat pocket and there was more than $600 in cash in his backpack. Ross had more than $500 in folded stacks of $20 bills, according to the complaint. After searching the car, Police found marijuana and products used to smoke marijuana.
Thomas told police he and Ross were in town to buy a Cadillac and were staying at the Howard Johnson. Hotel employees told police Thomas rented two rooms for several days in the beginning of March. After issuing a search warrant, police found residue consistent with heroin, and drug paraphernalia.
Thomas was charged with possession with intent to deliver; possession of THC; and possession of drug paraphernalia. Ross was charged with possession with intent to deliver heroin, as party to a crime; and three counts of felony bail jumping. A La Crosse County judge set a $10,000 cash bond for Thomas and a $50,000 cash bond for Ross. Their preliminary hearing is set for March 22.
- Rising Above the Flood: Gays Mills rebuilds
- Coulee Council on Addictions addresses neighborhood's treatment center concerns
- Group holds mental health first aid class
- Solar eclipse expected at 85% in La Crosse
- La Crosse families receive school supplies through ‘Back 2 School' program
- Money approved to purchase body cameras for La Crosse Police Department
- No parking on some La Crosse streets during repairs
- UPDATE: Remaining 2 passengers identified in fatal boating accident, Brownsville
- Man identified in La Crosse fatal officer involved shooting
- Card skimmers found in Cashton