TOWN OF BELOIT, Wis. - Town of Beloit firefighters successfully evacuated a disabled woman, 14 birds, four dogs and two cats from a burning building late Thursday night, but they were unable to save the structure.
Firefighters were sent to the Rockvale Mobile Home Park off U.S. Highway 51 just before midnight Thursday.
When they arrived, firefighters quickly evacuated the disabled woman and her dogs from the trailer before fighting a fire in the ceiling of the kitchen.
As they continued to battle the blaze, other crews were able to rescue the birds, dogs and cats. The birds range in size from large exotic birds to lovebirds, according to the Humane Society of Southern Wisconsin.
A vet said all the pets appear to be in good health.
The trailer is considered a total loss and is valued at $18,000. Damage to the contents inside is estimated to be $5,000.
The animals will stay at the shelter until the family is able to reclaim them.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Course teaches Somali culture in central Minnesota
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership