SHARON, Wis. - An 11-year-old boy shot in the head in rural Walworth County on Wednesday has been identified as Eric Gutierrez.
The Walworth County Coroner's Office said Thursday morning that Gutierrez is brain dead and on life support.
Walworth County sheriff's deputies and the Sharon Police Department responded to reports of a person shot in the head in a wooded area behind N1602 County Road K just after 12:30 p.m., officials said.
When crews arrived they found Gutierrez with a head wound, officials said. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville.
Investigators said a 13-year-old witness has been interviewed and a handgun has been found, along with other pieces of evidence.
The sheriff's office said a donation website has been set up for Gutierrez' family.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016