SHARON, Wis. - An 11-year-old boy shot in the head in rural Walworth County on Wednesday has been identified as Eric Gutierrez.
The Walworth County Coroner's Office said Thursday morning that Gutierrez is brain dead and on life support.
Walworth County sheriff's deputies and the Sharon Police Department responded to reports of a person shot in the head in a wooded area behind N1602 County Road K just after 12:30 p.m., officials said.
When crews arrived they found Gutierrez with a head wound, officials said. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville.
Investigators said a 13-year-old witness has been interviewed and a handgun has been found, along with other pieces of evidence.
The sheriff's office said a donation website has been set up for Gutierrez' family.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse