MILWAUKEE (AP) - The federal government is giving nearly $100,000 in grants to Milwaukee-based Growing Power.
Democratic Congresswoman Gwen Moore and U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the grants are to help increase local food access in eligible schools.
It's in connection to Farm to School, a USDA-supported program aimed at improving agricultural and nutritional education by providing locally sourced food in schools.
WITI-TV reports the grant will help Growing Power provide training on how to produce fresh locally grown foods.
Growing Power is a nonprofit organization that promotes sustainable farming methods. Its founder and chief executive officer is Will Allen, a former professional basketball player.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.