SPARTA, WI (WKBT) - A Sparta man died early Sunday morning after a vehicle crossed into his lane and struck his vehicle on Jancing Avenue, according to Sparta police.
Police say alcohol appears to be a contributing factor in the crash, which happened after an attempted traffic stop.
At about 3 a.m. Sunday, an officer attempted to pull over Steven Johnson, 31, of Chippewa Falls, for speeding, along with other traffic violations. Sparta police say he refused to stop and went south on Ideal Road and then Westbound on Jancing Avenue.
Johnson's vehicle crossed into the eastbound traffic lane colliding with an eastbound vehicle driven by Jose Luz Flores Procel, 34, of Sparta. Flores Procel died at the scene.
Johnson and his passenger Thomas Steward, 37, of Milwaukee, were taken by Med Fight to a La Crosse hospital for treatment.
Police are still investigating the crash.23163698
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners
- Representative Kind outlines goals for congressional session
- Debate over medical marijuana continues in Wisconsin
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers