SPARTA, WI (WKBT) - A Sparta man died early Sunday morning after a vehicle crossed into his lane and struck his vehicle on Jancing Avenue, according to Sparta police.
Police say alcohol appears to be a contributing factor in the crash, which happened after an attempted traffic stop.
At about 3 a.m. Sunday, an officer attempted to pull over Steven Johnson, 31, of Chippewa Falls, for speeding, along with other traffic violations. Sparta police say he refused to stop and went south on Ideal Road and then Westbound on Jancing Avenue.
Johnson's vehicle crossed into the eastbound traffic lane colliding with an eastbound vehicle driven by Jose Luz Flores Procel, 34, of Sparta. Flores Procel died at the scene.
Johnson and his passenger Thomas Steward, 37, of Milwaukee, were taken by Med Fight to a La Crosse hospital for treatment.
Police are still investigating the crash.23163698
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks