GRAND RAPIDS, Minn. (AP) - A 72-year-old woman is in critical condition after a backyard fire at a farm in northern Minnesota.
The Itasca County sheriff's office says Patricia Pauna suffered severe burns on her legs and arms when she tried to put out the grass fire with a shovel Tuesday.
Pauna was airlifted to Essentia Health St. Mary's Duluth Hospital burn unit. She was in critical condition Wednesday.
Authorities say the fire started from a burning pit in the backyard and spread to tall grass and outbuildings. The fire was contained soon after firefighters arrived.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Holmen continues expansion with office building groundbreaking
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Minnesota power plant that burns turkey litter faces closure