GRAND RAPIDS, Minn. (AP) - A 72-year-old woman is in critical condition after a backyard fire at a farm in northern Minnesota.
The Itasca County sheriff's office says Patricia Pauna suffered severe burns on her legs and arms when she tried to put out the grass fire with a shovel Tuesday.
Pauna was airlifted to Essentia Health St. Mary's Duluth Hospital burn unit. She was in critical condition Wednesday.
Authorities say the fire started from a burning pit in the backyard and spread to tall grass and outbuildings. The fire was contained soon after firefighters arrived.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration