WINONA, Minn. - Winona police arrested a 36-year-old man after he struck an acquaintance in the left cheek with a beer bottle at the Latch Island Beach Thursday afternoon.
Winona Police Chief Paul Bostrack said officers arrested Dennis Ruiz, of Winona, for second degree assault. Alcohol appears to be a factor in the incident, Chief Bostrack said.
Witnesses told police the 23-year-old victim, of Winona, was walking past Ruiz at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday when Ruiz struck him in the left cheek with the beer bottle. Chief Bostrack says the victim was transported to an area hospital with significant injuries that likely required stitches.
The victim told police he didn't know why he Ruiz hit him in the face with the beer bottle. Police recovered the bottle that witnesses said Ruiz threw under a car after the incident.
Ruiz was charged with felony second-degree assault in Winona County court on Friday afternoon. He was released on bail from Winona County Jail on Friday afternoon. He is scheduled to appear in court on July 18.20858084
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016