WINONA, Minn. - Winona police arrested a 36-year-old man after he struck an acquaintance in the left cheek with a beer bottle at the Latch Island Beach Thursday afternoon.
Winona Police Chief Paul Bostrack said officers arrested Dennis Ruiz, of Winona, for second degree assault. Alcohol appears to be a factor in the incident, Chief Bostrack said.
Witnesses told police the 23-year-old victim, of Winona, was walking past Ruiz at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday when Ruiz struck him in the left cheek with the beer bottle. Chief Bostrack says the victim was transported to an area hospital with significant injuries that likely required stitches.
The victim told police he didn't know why he Ruiz hit him in the face with the beer bottle. Police recovered the bottle that witnesses said Ruiz threw under a car after the incident.
Ruiz was charged with felony second-degree assault in Winona County court on Friday afternoon. He was released on bail from Winona County Jail on Friday afternoon. He is scheduled to appear in court on July 18.20858084
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles