WINONA, Minn. - Winona police arrested a 36-year-old man after he struck an acquaintance in the left cheek with a beer bottle at the Latch Island Beach Thursday afternoon.
Winona Police Chief Paul Bostrack said officers arrested Dennis Ruiz, of Winona, for second degree assault. Alcohol appears to be a factor in the incident, Chief Bostrack said.
Witnesses told police the 23-year-old victim, of Winona, was walking past Ruiz at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday when Ruiz struck him in the left cheek with the beer bottle. Chief Bostrack says the victim was transported to an area hospital with significant injuries that likely required stitches.
The victim told police he didn't know why he Ruiz hit him in the face with the beer bottle. Police recovered the bottle that witnesses said Ruiz threw under a car after the incident.
Ruiz was charged with felony second-degree assault in Winona County court on Friday afternoon. He was released on bail from Winona County Jail on Friday afternoon. He is scheduled to appear in court on July 18.20858084
- Heavy rain causes huge sink hole in La Crosse
- Innaugural Catgut Paddle brings races, food, music
- Arcadia flooding leaves behind mess, displaces residents
- Area businesses prepare for more flooding
- Minneapolis Police Chief resigns after fatal shooting
- Catholic Charities offers assistance with Disaster Recovery
- News 8 Sports Round Up-July 22, 2017
- FLW comes to Mississippi River
- Third annual Bountiful Gardens Tour takes place in La Crosse
- La Crosse hosts 27th annual rail fair