PRESTON, Minn. - Roger James Bergmann, 39, was identified on Sunday by the Fillmore County Sheriff's Department as the suspect in a shooting, chase and stand-off Friday afternoon.
Fillmore County Sheriff Daryl Jensen says Bergmann, of Canton, shot a 49-year-old woman in a residence in Preston at about 12:20 p.m. She was in surgery when Jensen sent the news release a little after 3 p.m.
The victim's name and condition is expected to be released on Monday.
Sheriff Jensen says someone who witnessed the incident told police who shot the woman. Jensen says although officers knew who the suspect was, they couldn't locate Bergmann for about 40 minutes. Fillmore Central Schools were locked down during the incident.
Sheriff Jensen says Bergmann was spotted by a Rushford Officer going eastbound on Highway 16 between Whalan and Peterson. The officer pursued him into Winona County. Authorities from the Winona and Houston Counties and Minnesota State Troopers assisted the Rushford officer.
Sheriff Jensen said Bergmann stopped east of Wilson in Winona County and was arrested after a 30 minute standoff.
The Preston Police Department, Fillmore County Sheriff's Office, and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension are all assisting in the investigation.17883382
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- UPDATE: Tomah police believe they captured the suspects involved in a high speed chase Sunday
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser