PRESTON, Minn. - Roger James Bergmann, 39, was identified on Sunday by the Fillmore County Sheriff's Department as the suspect in a shooting, chase and stand-off Friday afternoon.
Fillmore County Sheriff Daryl Jensen says Bergmann, of Canton, shot a 49-year-old woman in a residence in Preston at about 12:20 p.m. She was in surgery when Jensen sent the news release a little after 3 p.m.
The victim's name and condition is expected to be released on Monday.
Sheriff Jensen says someone who witnessed the incident told police who shot the woman. Jensen says although officers knew who the suspect was, they couldn't locate Bergmann for about 40 minutes. Fillmore Central Schools were locked down during the incident.
Sheriff Jensen says Bergmann was spotted by a Rushford Officer going eastbound on Highway 16 between Whalan and Peterson. The officer pursued him into Winona County. Authorities from the Winona and Houston Counties and Minnesota State Troopers assisted the Rushford officer.
Sheriff Jensen said Bergmann stopped east of Wilson in Winona County and was arrested after a 30 minute standoff.
The Preston Police Department, Fillmore County Sheriff's Office, and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension are all assisting in the investigation.17883382
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- UW-L celebrates School of Education
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviornmental excellence
- Downtown Mainstreet hosts 'Clean Your Block Party'
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Earth Buzz! raising awareness for polinator importance
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- UW-L softball takes two versus UW-River Falls
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather