MANKATO, Minn. (AP) - A jury has cleared a former Mankato Clinic eye doctor of sexual assaulting two of his patients.
The Free Press reports that Todd Gavin faced two felony and two gross misdemeanor charges related to exams conducted in 2010 after which two women claimed they had been made to remove their clothing were inappropriately touched by Gavin.
Assistant Blue Earth County Attorney Michael Hanson told jurors Gavin had taken advantage of the women. Gavin's defense team insisted the veteran eye doctor had done nothing improper and was being punished for being thorough.
The accusers were women seen back-to-back by Gavin in 2010. One woman reported an alleged assault the next day. The second reported her allegation weeks later.
Gavin's attorneys insisted the patients had misunderstood their client's methods.
A Blue Earth County trial is under way for an eye doctor accused of sexually assaulting two female patients.
Todd Gavin faces two felony and two gross misdemeanor charges for allegedly having the young women remove their clothing during eye appointments in 2010 in Mankato and examining their breasts.
Defense attorney Richard Ohlenberg says Gavin has been practicing for 20 years and had never been accused of sexual impropriety. Ohlenberg says what prosecutors say was predatory behavior was just Gavin being a good doctor.
County Attorney Mike Hanson says both women felt violated when they left the exam room.
The Free Press says Gavin is a former Mankato Clinic doctor who now practices in Madelia.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers