ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) - If there is something Joe Mauer knows well, it's twins.
The Minnesota Twins catcher welcomed twin girls this week, the first children for he and wife Maddie.
Mauer left the team before Tuesday night's game against the Angels to fly home to Minnesota. He made it in time for the birth of Emily and Maren early Wednesday, according to Twins director of baseball communications and player relations Dustin Morse.
Mauer was placed on the paternity leave list before Wednesday's game. Catcher Drew Butera was recalled from Triple-A Rochester.
Butera, who spent the last three years as Mauer's backup, has been with Rochester all season, batting .215 in 79 at-bats after recovering from a broken left hand. Mauer, a six-time All-Star, played in 92 of the first 96 games until Tuesday.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering