REDWOOD FALLS, Minn. (AP) - An 18-year-old mother is charged with second-degree murder in the death of her young son in southwestern Minnesota last weekend.
Sandra Ann Highbear of North Redwood was charged Thursday in Redwood County. She's accused in the death of her 22-month-old son Conroy.
According to the complaint, police were called Saturday night to a Redwood Falls home where Highbear was living on a report of a child not breathing. Officers found Conroy lying on a couch and his mother in the kitchen crying.
Officers tried to revive the boy, but he was pronounced dead at a hospital. An autopsy found the boy had bruises and died from peritonitis due to a ruptured stomach.
Highbear was arrested Wednesday. KLGR-AM reports unconditional bail was set at $2 million. Highbear remains in jail.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion