REDWOOD FALLS, Minn. (AP) - An 18-year-old mother is charged with second-degree murder in the death of her young son in southwestern Minnesota last weekend.
Sandra Ann Highbear of North Redwood was charged Thursday in Redwood County. She's accused in the death of her 22-month-old son Conroy.
According to the complaint, police were called Saturday night to a Redwood Falls home where Highbear was living on a report of a child not breathing. Officers found Conroy lying on a couch and his mother in the kitchen crying.
Officers tried to revive the boy, but he was pronounced dead at a hospital. An autopsy found the boy had bruises and died from peritonitis due to a ruptured stomach.
Highbear was arrested Wednesday. KLGR-AM reports unconditional bail was set at $2 million. Highbear remains in jail.
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US
- Congress OKs bill averting Saturday gov't shutdown
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Young students urge high schoolers to be safe during prom
- Police: Man pepper-sprayed autistic man eating free cookies
- GOP gets in lockstep in looming budget fight with Dayton
- Appeal rejected in death of 2 motorcyclists
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested
- Company says it has no plans for a new Wisconsin pipeline