PICKWICK, Minn. (WKBT) - A former Winona State University professor shot in his home in Winona County has died at a La Crosse hospital.
Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand says 72-year-old Mickey Ellenbecker was apparently shot in the back of the head at his rural Pickwick home Saturday. The sheriff says one person has been detained in the shooting.
When first responders arrived on scene at about 12:14 p.m., Ellenbecker was unconscious. He was transported by helicopter to the hospital.
Brand says he knew Ellenbecker because the victim had worked as a probation officer in the 1970s. He says Ellenbecker lived in Winona before moving to Pickwick where he raised horses.
The Post-Bulletin reports Ellenbecker died Sunday at Gundersen Health System.
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case