PICKWICK, Minn. (WKBT) - A former Winona State University professor shot in his home in Winona County has died at a La Crosse hospital.
Winona County Sheriff Dave Brand says 72-year-old Mickey Ellenbecker was apparently shot in the back of the head at his rural Pickwick home Saturday. The sheriff says one person has been detained in the shooting.
When first responders arrived on scene at about 12:14 p.m., Ellenbecker was unconscious. He was transported by helicopter to the hospital.
Brand says he knew Ellenbecker because the victim had worked as a probation officer in the 1970s. He says Ellenbecker lived in Winona before moving to Pickwick where he raised horses.
The Post-Bulletin reports Ellenbecker died Sunday at Gundersen Health System.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser