MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Two men convicted in the government's investigation into terror recruiting and financing for a Somali terrorist group are scheduled to be sentenced in federal court.
Sentencing hearings for Kamal Said Hassan and Mahamud Said Omar will be held Monday, kicking off a week of sentencings for various defendants.
Hassan is among the more than 20 young men who left Minnesota since 2007 to join the terror group al-Shabab in Somalia. He participated in an ambush with al-Shabab before returning to the U.S. He has pleaded guilty to three counts, including two terror-related charges which each carry a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.
Omar was convicted on five-terror related counts last year. Prosecutors say he played a key role in facilitating the men's travels. Prosecutors are seeking 50 years.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death