ROCHESTER, Minn. (AP) - Security procedures are being reviewed at the Olmsted County Government Center after a defendant tried to harm himself with a razor blade during a court appearance.
Authorities say the 77-year-old defendant is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation at Saint Marys Hospital in Rochester after trying to cut his wrist during his sentencing for a sex crime Thursday. The man's attorney jumped on him and two probation officers helped take away the razor blade. KTTC-TV reports the man did not suffer serious injuries.
Sheriff Dave Mueller says metal detectors are among the security measures under discussion.
- Holmen man sentenced for 2015 murder
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse
- Herberger's moving into former Macy's location in La Crosse