WOODBURY, Minn. (AP) - The parents of a St. Paul man are outraged at police who shot and killed their unarmed son as he fled a hotel room where a gunman was holding seven hostages.
The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension says it's investigating the circumstances behind the death of 19-year-old Mark Eric Henderson.
A woman in the room called 911 when the suspect pulled out a gun. The BCA says officers responded but retreated when the man pointed a handgun at them.
At some point, Henderson broke free and ran from the room. The BCA says police thought he had a weapon, and when he refused officers' commands, three officers fired.
Henderson's parents say they're angry at police who should have saved their son, not killed him.
The suspected gunman has been arrested.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death