WOODBURY, Minn. (AP) - The parents of a St. Paul man are outraged at police who shot and killed their unarmed son as he fled a hotel room where a gunman was holding seven hostages.
The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension says it's investigating the circumstances behind the death of 19-year-old Mark Eric Henderson.
A woman in the room called 911 when the suspect pulled out a gun. The BCA says officers responded but retreated when the man pointed a handgun at them.
At some point, Henderson broke free and ran from the room. The BCA says police thought he had a weapon, and when he refused officers' commands, three officers fired.
Henderson's parents say they're angry at police who should have saved their son, not killed him.
The suspected gunman has been arrested.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government