OWATONNA, Minn. (AP) - A fiery crash involving three vehicles has forced the closure of northbound Interstate 35 south of Owatonna, but the State Patrol says nobody was injured.
The Patrol says a semi and a car were stopped in the right northbound lane around 3:45 p.m. Thursday due to traffic backups. Another semi crashed into the car, which then collided with the first semi. The trucks then started on fire, sending a plume of smoke into the sky that could be seen for miles.
Traffic was detoured onto other roads. Southbound I-35 was reduced to one lane.
The Minnesota Department of Transportation was not immediately certain how long the northbound lanes would be closed. Once the accident clears, MnDOT will need to examine the road to ensure that it's safe for traffic.
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- La Crosse Central holds 95th Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse Loggers host open house at newly renovated Lumberyard
- Onalaska removing brick crosswalks on Highway 35
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 26, 2017