MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A Washington County grand jury has declined to indict the Woodbury police officers involved in last summer's fatal shooting at a motel.
Mark Henderson, 19, was shot by police last August, after they responded to a hostage incident at the Red Roof Inn.
Authorities say Henderson and others were being held hostage by Demetrius Santrell Ballinger when Henderson tried to escape. Charges against Ballinger say he fired at Henderson when Henderson tried to leave. As officers on the ground heard a gunshot, they fired at Henderson, thinking he had a weapon.
Henderson was unarmed and died at the hospital.
The officers have been on paid administrative leave. It was unclear if they'd return to duty immediately.
The Ramsey County Attorney's Office announced results of the grand jury investigation Thursday.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged Dec. 22 shooting
- Wisconsin student wants sex charges dismissed
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death
- Stolen passwords used to change some grades, university says
- Search resumes for girl missing in western Iowa river
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run