OAKDALE, Minn. (AP) - A 9-year-old Oakdale boy who was shot and killed while riding in a minivan has been identified by his mother.
Melissa Aryal says she picked up her son, Devin, from daycare Monday evening and was heading home when she heard a noise that sounded like something under the hood. Aryal pulled up to a stop sign, and was hit in the arm by a bullet.
She drove to the parking lot of a nearby Rainbow Foods and noticed Devin was bent over, also shot. She says she held him until an ambulance arrived, but he died of his injuries.
Police arrested a 34-year-old man Oakdale man. Authorities say he randomly fired at passing vehicles Monday evening. A motive hasn't been released.
A woman in another vehicle was also injured.
- Preliminary data shows homeless count down in La Crosse
- Former Coulee Region Chill Coach facing toughest opponent yet
- Festival Foods to purchase stores in Tomah, Eau Claire
- The Latest: Walker says Foxconn incentives tied to new jobs
- State Dept. warns of possibly tainted alcohol in Mexico
- Repairs underway on huge hole in La Crosse street caused by heavy rain
- Irishfest returning to La Crosse for 13th year
- Homeless Connect provides area homeless with resources to find help
- Summer Days Sidewalk Sale offers sales on local goods at downtown businesses
- FoxConn plant could increase Western Integrated Technology enrollment