ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota and Wisconsin departments of transportation have chosen the architectural and engineering firm HDR to lead the design effort for the St. Croix Crossing Bridge.
The agencies said Tuesday the $14.2 million contract will develop the bridge design selected by a community stakeholder group. The bridge design will keep tower heights below river bluffs and reduce the number of piers in the river.
The four-lane bridge will span the St. Croix River between Oak Park Heights, Minnesota, and St. Joseph, Wisconsin.
The bridge will cost an estimated $280 million to $310 million. The bridge is part of the larger St. Croix Crossing project, which includes expressways on either side of the bridge in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
The project's total cost is estimated between $580 million and $676 million.
- UPDATE: Two additional suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Monday closings due to weather
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion